Soy Wax Candles: Everything you need to know
What is the best wax for candles?
When choosing which kind of candles you are going to buy, you are going to have a few different options. This is because there are several different kinds of wax that can be used to create candles, all of which come from different substances and resources. The wax acts as fuel for the flame to burn through, keeping it going until the wax evaporates entirely, allowing the scent to fill the air within your home.
This, of course, begs the question: what is the best wax for candles? It can be hard to choose, seeing as there are so many kinds. The most typical type of wax used for candles is paraffin wax, and this is what most candles you will find in stores will be made from. However, there are lots of other kinds of wax as well. Some candles can be made from a blend of a couple of different kinds of wax, such as a soy-paraffin blend. This gives users the benefit of soy wax at a lower price point. There are also other kinds of wax such as beeswax and coconut wax, which are great sustainable and environmentally friendly alternatives.
Here at Hebe Botanica, we believe that the best kind of wax for any candle is soy wax, due to its wide range of benefits that other kinds of wax just can’t offer in the same way.
What is soy wax?
Soy wax is a wax that is made from the oil that comes from soybeans, making it a vegetable-based wax. Soy wax is 100% natural and a far more sustainable kind of wax to use in candles. The beans are harvested, cracked and de-hulled before being rolled into flakes. The flakes are where we can then extract the oil that is used for the wax.
The typical alternative to soy wax is paraffin wax, which is not extracted from natural sources in the same way. It is most used because it is cheap to make candles with, but it is not necessarily the best choice in terms of quality. Paraffin candles tend to burn a lot faster than soy candles, and they don’t retain their scent the same way either. This makes soy candles a preferable option for several different reasons.
What are the benefits of using soy wax candles?
- Soy wax holds on to fragrance far better than other waxes, meaning that as you burn through the candle you are going to get the same intensity of fragrance as you did when you first lit the wick. With other kinds of wax, the scent is likely to get weaker the further the candle burns down, but that is not the case with soy wax, where you experience the scent all the way down to the bottom. This also means that you are getting a better value product for what you are paying for it.
- The life expectancy of a soy wax candle far exceeds that of a paraffin wax candle. This is due to the fact that soy candles have a lower melting point, making them last up to 50% longer than a paraffin alternative. Once again, this means you are getting better value for money when opting for a soy wax candle, as they are going to burn down a lot slower.
- Soy comes from a renewable resource. Soybeans come from a natural resource, and therefore are an environmentally friendly option when it comes to a material to make candles with. Soybeans are renewable, so we aren't burning through materials that cannot be naturally replenished.
- Easier to clean. We’ve all had the situation where we’ve been burning a candle and some of the wax has gotten onto a surface or our clothes. When this happens with a paraffin candle, the wax can be very difficult to get off and can even stain fabric permanently. The benefit of a soy wax candle is that it can be cleaned much more easily. Since soy is biodegradable, it can be wiped off any surface very easily and is also friendly to the skin.
- It can be used as a skin treatment. If all of the other candle-related benefits weren’t enough to persuade you that soy wax is amazing, there’s a whole other way you can use soy wax - as a skin treatment! When burning your soy candle, apply a small amount to your skin and massage it in. After this, your skin will feel rejuvenated and appear softer and fresher, like you’ve been for a skin treatment!
Coconut soy candle wax blends
If you are convinced that the soy candle is the candle for you, then it’s time to start looking for the perfect one. That is where our coconut soy candle comes in!
We have combined all the things that we love about soy candles with a beautiful scent in order to bring luxury into your home. Our soy candle is 100% natural and comes from renewable resources, complete with a natural wooden wick to bring you the cleanest burn possible. The subtle but sweet coconut scent also comes entirely from natural oils, so you can enjoy the scent without it becoming overpowering. Our candle is free from harmful additives that you may find in other candles, such as parabens and pesticides, and your body will certainly thank you for it! The candle will not release any irritants into the air, so you can be assured you aren't inhaling anything nasty.
Our coconut candles are hand-poured, with love and care poured into every single one. The sustainable soy wax is poured into a coconut shell, rather than a manmade material, and this can be reused or composted within your home after the candle has been burned all the way down to the bottom. We are committed to making products that are both sustainable and luxurious to use, and our soy wax candles bring you just that!