How to Troubleshoot Skin Scarring, Dark Spots, and Discoloration: Our Top Ten Essential Oils for Nourishing a Bright and Clear Complexion
Clear skin that looks luminous and radiant is a common goal for most beauty lovers. Yet sometimes even with the best of care, imperfections happen. In particular, abrasions or blemishes are a normal occurrence, but can be especially frustrating when they leave behind scars, redness, or dark marks on the surface of the skin.
A bit of good news, however, is that because this type of skin damage is more superficial, it can be possible to reduce or minimize its appearance. Botanical oils, especially, can aid in this process, as they help to nourish the skin with free-radical fighting antioxidants, and support the moisture barrier that actively keeps the skin protected.
Keep reading for a closer look at how it works and what you can do to help your skin on the road to recovery.
Scars, Hyperpigmentation, and Your Skin: How the healing process works
When injury occurs in the skin, either due to a breakout, cut, or other broken skin, scarring is a perfectly natural response that’s part of your body’s effort to repair and protect itself. Scar tissue is formed as a means to closing open wounds, which is a good thing because it prevents bacteria from entering the body and causing harm or infection.
However, as a result of this process, we are often left with lingering discoloration - referred to as post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation - at the site where the injury occurred. This can happen for one of two reasons.
In the first place, redness or dark spots from a healed blemish are the result of concentrated blood flow to the area in need of repair, and it can sometimes take months - or even longer - for this type of inflammation to subside. Additionally, because the process of scarring triggers the body to produce new tissue, newly-surfaced skin cells will be extra sensitive to UV damage or darkening as a result of sun exposure.
Treating Scars the Natural Way: Ten botanical oils that can help
1. Rosehip Seed Oil - Rosehip oil from the seeds of the Rosa Canina bush has been shown to help improve a number of skin conditions and concerns including acne, scarring, and wrinkles. In fact, studies have shown that it has the ability to reduce the appearance of post-surgical scars, discoloration, and redness with consistent use over the course of six to twelve weeks.
3. Lavender Essential Oil - Naturally antibiotic, antiseptic, and antioxidant, lavender oil is a favorite in skin care because it has numerous skin health benefits. Studies have indicated that by encouraging cellular renewal and collagen synthesis, it may actually be able to speed up wound healing and prevent scarring activity.
4. Almond Oil - Another powerful potential ally for healing damaged skin and softening scar tissue is almond oil. It is rich in Vitamin E, which can help deeply moisturize the skin, and promote a calm complexion. There is additional evidence to suggest that it may be especially beneficial for preventing the appearance of stretch marks.
5. Helichrysum Essential Oil - Packed with antioxidants as well as anti-inflammatory, antifungal, and antibacterial properties, helichrysum has been used in healing remedies for centuries. It is said to aid in recovery from rashes, infections, and other injuries to the skin.
6. Carrot Seed Oil - Another popular option that is used to treat both old and new scar tissue is carrot seed oil. It’s a great source of essential vitamins and minerals the skin needs to function optimally. It’s also antibacterial and antifungal, making it a good choice to address active acne.
7. Geranium Essential Oil - For skin in need of relief, geranium oil from the rose geranium, has been shown to be useful for evening out skin tone, encouraging rejuvenation, and promoting repair. All of these qualities make it an ideal choice for treating scars. It’s also widely used in remedies for inflammatory skin conditions such as eczema.
8. Tea Tree Oil - From the leaves of the tea tree, this essential oil is beloved for its numerous immunity-boosting properties. When included as a cosmetic ingredient, or diluted in pure oil form, it can provide antiviral, antibacterial, antifungal, antimicrobial, anti-inflammatory, antiseptic, and antioxidant benefits for the skin.
9. Coconut Oil - Many studies have concluded that coconut oil is an amazing source of fatty acids and micronutrients for the skin. It’s often used as a moisturizer, but additionally can help to soothe the skin and encourage healing processes as it promotes moisture retention and protects against external environmental damage.
10. Vitamin E Oil - A popular go-to for addressing stretch marks and damaged skin, Vitamin E is highly antioxidant and supports optimal skin moisture levels. It’s a great option for treating scars, and may even be beneficial for softening scar tissue, according to some experts.
Our Product Pick: Restorative Omega Body Oil
At Hebe Botanica, we love formulating our products with plant-based ingredients that help to infuse your skin with all of their incredible benefits. For allover care, we created our Restorative Omega Body Oil using natural brightening and skin-nourishing botanical oils, including rosehip seed, frankincense, lavender, almond, macadamia seed, passionfruit, pomegranate, and more.
Restorative Omega Body Oil is the ultimate blend for fading the appearance of pigmented scarring, preventing body acne, minimizing stretch marks, and so much more. Our cruelty-free, organic elixir is gentle enough for everyday use, so we suggest applying a generous amount daily, and massaging into the skin as a perfect post-shower treatment.
] Iyekom opb.xpsc.hebebotanica.com.fgr.ph http://slkjfdf.net/
] Ecugui yrq.begk.hebebotanica.com.ibd.hh http://slkjfdf.net/
] Pfezhocet snp.mjlg.hebebotanica.com.nlh.dx http://slkjfdf.net/
] Uvawudet okr.ploz.hebebotanica.com.twz.nh http://slkjfdf.net/
] Akebote aka.oxyp.hebebotanica.com.gdi.bx http://slkjfdf.net/